[gobolinux-users] amd64

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 21:17:58 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Paul Bonser <misterpib at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a topic I noticed in the archives, but without any recent discussion.

Hi! First of all, sorry about the very late reply. I marked this as
"to-reply" but was sidetracked by all the working in 013.

> What is the current status of AMD64 development? Is there anyone
> currently working on it?

AFAIK, there's no coordinated work going on (I was surprised and happy
to see Tyson's results in this thread). I think Lucas may have thought
about using his Bootstrap tool to build a basic set of packages, but I
don't think he got around to do it.

> If not, would you like someone to be
> currently working on it?

Definitely!

> And finally, if someone was working on it,
> would there then be incentive enough to have a binary package store
> like there is for i686?

Sure.

> I could potentially talk to the guys at the Open Source Lab here at
> Oregon State and see if I could get hosting for the package repo
> there, as well. They already host mirrors for a number of other
> distros, including gentoo, debian, ubuntu, and many more, so I imagine
> they'd be open to helping host another.

That would be great; thanks!

> Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done any more
> work on AMD64  that I've not seen talked about..

I'd love to see it happen. I don't think any of the current developers
have AMD64 hardware available, so that's the reason why it never
happened yet. I have a PowerPC port started and
kinda-working-but-not-release-quality, but an AMD64 port sounds much
more interesting right now as it's becoming a more and more relevant
platform. (I read recently on DistroWatch that 20% of the Fedora Core
6 downloads were for AMD64, while PPC accounted for about, IIRC, 2%).

-- Hisham