Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 20:35:39 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> "Hisham Muhammad" <hisham.hm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We are in process of improving the overall model of recipe development,
> > starting by adopting a Subversion server. I'm currently working on
> > cleaning up our store a bit so I can post an initial checkin. Once we can
> > give recipe contributors svn access, we should be able to have
> > recipe maintainers in a proper sense. This way we can have at least a
> > subset of the recipes tree that has a more "official" status in a sense
> > that it is maintained regularly.
>
> Please can this be put on a more distributed revision control (git
> or similar) than Subversion?  As you probably know, connections
> from here to the current server locations across the Atlantic are
> not as good as connections to local disk, and single points of
> failure are bad ideas anyway.

We're pretty much set on using Subversion, as I think it fits well the
development model we have in mind (where we can keep the recipes tree
in the server looking like the local tree and have 'svn copy' keep
history in a simple way as new versions and revisions are created) and
the service is setup out-of-the-box by the provider where
gobolinux.org is hosted. But for distributed/disconnected operation, I
believe you have the option of accessing the server using SVK.
http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/HomePage

> Then again, no-one liked my suggestion of a more text-based recipe
> mail format and it took me so long to get an easy way of generating
> MIME attachments from my recipe kitchen system that I've lost track of
> what I have and haven't submitted, but I've not had time to play catch
> up yet, so there's pretty much none of my recipes in the tree yet, so
> I guess I probably won't get access anyway.
>
> (LocalRecipes here contains BCM43xx-FWCutter CPUDyn CurlFTPFS EmacsApp
> EmacsOnAqua FFCall FreeTalk GetMail GNUstep-Back-Xlib GNUstep-Base
> GNUstep-GUI GNUstep-Make HeirloomMailx LaptopModeTools LibOsip2
> Linphone MailUtils Mobile-Update Monotone MzScheme NetClasses NTP ORTP
> Poppler PopplerKit Procps SFLPhoned Sqlite TalkSoup Terminal
> Util-Linux Vindaloo Wily Wine YATE ZLib but some of those might be
> broken, surpassed or already submitted.)

Well, since I'm reviewing the tree here, you can send me a tarball
containing all these and I'll take a look at them. Hosting it in a
server and sending me an URL would probably be best (some people use
this method for submitting recipes in the -recipes list, too).

-- Hisham