[gobolinux-users] OpenSSH SOCKS difficulty

Andy Feldman nereusren at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 22:15:16 UTC 2006

On 11/20/06, Paul Dann <giddie at christian.net> wrote:
>   I'm still having trouble with DNS.  I've set
> network.proxy.socks_remote_dns=true, but Ethereal clearly shows DNS
> lookups going out to my router from my IP.  Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure. There seem to be mixed reports on whether that setting
works consistently. If it doesn't work for you, the surefire
alternative is to run Privoxy locally as an HTTP proxy. Privoxy is
apparently much better about consistently tunneling its DNS requests
through SOCKS.

Instead of:
local Firefox -> local PuTTY (as Firefox's SOCKS proxy) -> home SSH machine

I believe it would look like:
local Firefox -> local Privoxy (as Firefox's HTTP proxy) -> local
PuTTY (as Privoxy's SOCKS proxy) -> home SSH machine

But I haven't tried that setup, so you'll have to look around for a
Privoxy guide.

-Andy