Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 02:22:46 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, Hisham Muhammad <hisham.hm at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are in process of improving the overall model of recipe development,
> starting by adopting a Subversion server. I'm currently working on
> cleaning up our store a bit so I can post an initial checkin. Once we can
> give recipe contributors svn access, we should be able to have
> recipe maintainers in a proper sense. This way we can have at least a
> subset of the recipes tree that has a more "official" status in a sense
> that it is maintained regularly.

Oh, ok.  So, I would  say that currently  all  recipes are official, in the
sense that they are  revised before being included, but not in the sense of
being  regularly maintained.

> Your example was a bit hard to follow (my fault certainly, it's past
> 1am as I write this), but work was put recently into revamping our
> dependencies scheme, allowing to specify valid version ranges nicely,
> recursive checking, etc. I think everything is in place now (André can
> confirm this better as it's his code) but most recipes don't use it
> yet. So, I think this is bound to improve over time.

OK, my phrasing was rather obscure, so I'll take some real examples.

martin1 at martinGobo /]cat /Programs/Firefox/Current/Resources/Dependencies
ATK
Cairo
Expat
GCC
GLib
Glibc
GTK+
LibPNG
LibStdC++
Pango
Xorg
ZLib

martin1 at martinGobo /]cat /Programs/Gimp/Current/Resources/Dependencies
ATK 1.10.1
Cairo 1.0.0
Expat 1.95.8
Fontconfig 2.3.2
FreeType 2.1.10
GLib 2.8.1
Glibc 2.3.2
GPM 1.20.1
GTK+ 2.8.6
JPEG 6b
LCMS 1.14
LibART_LGPL 2.3.17
LibExif 0.6.12
LibMNG 1.0.6
LibPNG 1.2.8
LibRSVG 2.9.5
LibXML2 2.6.22
Pango 1.10.0
Xorg 6.8.2
ZLib 1.2.3
martin1 at martinGobo /]

So, if I got it right, Firefox will accept any version of its dependencies,
while Gimp requires specific versions of each one.

First question: Who builds those dependency lists, each project's managers
or Gobolinux devs? (I assume the latter will at least have to write the
right package names, but do they follow indications from the former, or do
they decide on their own?).

Second question: What happens when, say, Cairo is updated? I assume Gimp
will stick to its old version (Cairo 1.0.0), but will Firefox automatically
relink the the newest version of Cairo? Or will it do it the next time you
compile Firefox?

What I would like is that every program has a specific, tested and true
version of each dependency, as Gimp  has, or even better, a set of tested
versions. But I would like to have the possibility of trying the latest
version of every library (as Firefox seems to do) through a simple command
(maybe without having to recompile, just relink?). And if it breaks, then go
back to the latest tested version with another simple command. Oh, and it
should be recursive :D

I guess this is pretty much what you guys are working on. So, if it's
recursive, user-friendly (with some quick and simple options) and well
implemented in recipes then Gobolinux can be a rock-solid distro.

And welcome to GoboLinux! :)

Thanks! :)

Martin O.B.