[gobolinux-users] LiveCD proposal: Use a windows folder to store information

Andy Feldman nereusren at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 02:00:26 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Martin Baldan <martinobal at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> There's a linux distro (topologilinux) which does something similar, but I
> think they use a virtual disk image, while I propose using real windows
> subdirectories. What do you think?

That's a really neat idea, and I'd love to see it happen, if it's
feasible. Is there a particular reason you actually want the file
structure to be in NTFS, rather than just using a single disk image? I
don't think "being able to edit Gobo files from Windows" is a very
useful feature, although I guess it might let you recover a busted
install without using a LiveCD.

There are some potential pitfalls with the individual file approach, though:
- NTFS doesn't have UNIX permissions, so certain programs that check
the permissions of files before executing (e.g. sudo) wouldn't work.
You might have to run as superuser the whole time like on the LiveCD.
- Would NTFS even support special file system objects like those in
/S/K/D? I don't know how /dev works well enough to guess.
- I can't find any Distros which do it the individual file way, so
whoever impleneted it in Gobo would probably be breaking entirely new
ground. For something that's not the main goal of Gobo, I don't know
how much effort anyone would want to put into it. (Remember, Gobo is
not exactly intended for Windows newbies to get a simple taste of
Linux).

Phat Linux can apparently boot straight from within Windows without
needing to insert a CD, which would be better, but again it uses a
disk image rather than using NTFS directly for its file system.

Anyway, that's an interesting feature suggestion. If it was
implemented, I would definitely burn some Gobo discs and get my
friends to try it. The main thing stopping me now is that I don't want
to mess up their system by partitioning... I've had bad luck with
that.

-Andy