[gobolinux-users] acpi and sound card problems

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Thu Nov 23 16:11:20 UTC 2006

On 11/23/06, valerio arnaboldi <valerio.arnaboldi at libero.it> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi there,

> I'm a Linux newbie and i have just installed Gobolinux on my laptop.
> I have troubles with acpi installation and soundcard initialization.
> In the KDE control center i founded that acpi is not completely
> installed and I have to rebuild the kernel after having enabled AC
> Adaptor and Control Method Battery, but I don't know how to do this.

I guess you already have these modules. You just need to modprobe
them. The list of available modules for acpi is found at
/System/Kernel/Modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/acpi.

> I have already tried to compile the kernel with a different
> distribution, but here I can't find /usr/src/'kernel name' and I don't
> really know what to do!

I think you can just do that with the existing drivers. However, if
you really want to compile it, just type 'Compile Linux' in the
command line (or 'Compile Linux 2.6.17.11' to specify the version).

> The second problem I've met is sound card initialization: every time I
> start KDE the system prompt out a message like: "Error while
> initializing sound driver: device: default can't be opened for playback
> (No such device)". I have a sis integrated sound card and I've also
> tried to install oss. When I install oss it sais that the driver already
> exists and then the sound card works, but when I reboot the system the
> message pops out again and the card doesn't work!

Do you have a device named /dev/dsp? I'm pretty sure permissions are
ok on 013, but you might want to double check that, too. You can run
'aumix' on the command line, as super user, just to verify that your
card's mixer was registered by the loaded drivers.

--
Lucas