Michael Homer gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com
Fri Nov 24 22:17:04 UTC 2006

On 11/25/06, Andy Feldman <nereusren at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/06, Fábio Mierlo <geromao at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We have a automated tool to provide the source: Compile!
>
> That works... usually. The worry is that the original website may
> suddenly go down and take the source with it, at which point we would
> no longer be able to distribute the binary package until someone found
> a copy of the source somewhere else.
Ahem.
Look here: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeWithSourceOnInternet
I'm not sure whether that's intended to apply only to binaries from
modified source or not; I suspect not.
See also http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites
-  specifically, "Note, however, that it is not enough to find some
site that happens to have the appropriate source code today, and tell
people to look there".
-Michael