Andy Feldman nereusren at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 00:09:16 UTC 2006

On 11/24/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:
> Ahem.
> Look here: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeWithSourceOnInternet
> I'm not sure whether that's intended to apply only to binaries from
> modified source or not; I suspect not.
> See also http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites
> -  specifically, "Note, however, that it is not enough to find some
> site that happens to have the appropriate source code today, and tell
> people to look there".

That FAQ doesn't necessarily conflict with my suggestion. Continuing
directly from that quote on the page you linked:

"Tomorrow that site may have deleted that source code, or simply
replaced it with a newer version of the same program. Then you would
no longer be complying with the GPL requirements."

Which is why I suggested we have a backup server with source archives,
which we can make available--*if* we want to continue using that
binary package after original source disappears. More likely, I'm
guessing we would simply stop shipping an unmaintained program.

"To make a reasonable effort to comply, you need to make a positive
arrangement with the other site, and thus ensure that the source will
be available there for as long as you keep the binaries available."

As I read it, 'for as long as you keep the binaries available' means
that the worst that could happen by a source site going down is we
can't ship those binaries anymore. One way to "ensure that the source
will be available there for as long as you keep the binaries
available" is to make an agreement with another site as they suggest,
but another way is to *take down* any binaries that have their sources
removed.

Then, once a copy of the source was located (ideally from an archive
kept by the dev in charge of the package store), the binary package
could be distributed again. No?

-Andy (not a lawyer)