Michael Homer gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com
Sat Nov 25 00:29:36 UTC 2006

On 11/25/06, Andy Feldman <nereusren at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:
> > Ahem.
> > Look here: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeWithSourceOnInternet
> > I'm not sure whether that's intended to apply only to binaries from
> > modified source or not; I suspect not.
> > See also http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites
> > -  specifically, "Note, however, that it is not enough to find some
> > site that happens to have the appropriate source code today, and tell
> > people to look there".
>
> That FAQ doesn't necessarily conflict with my suggestion. Continuing
> directly from that quote on the page you linked:
>
> "Tomorrow that site may have deleted that source code, or simply
> replaced it with a newer version of the same program. Then you would
> no longer be complying with the GPL requirements."
>
> Which is why I suggested we have a backup server with source archives,
> which we can make available--*if* we want to continue using that
> binary package after original source disappears. More likely, I'm
> guessing we would simply stop shipping an unmaintained program.
Unless you can do it automatically, that isn't really going to cut it,
although it's probably good enough in practice. The problem is that
somebody who's already obtained the binaries by any means needs to be
able to obtain the source to them in perpetuity. The term used in the
FAQ is "a positive arrangement".

It also goes on to say "If you want to distribute binaries by
anonymous FTP, you have to distribute sources along with them". I
think the conservative interpretation is that yes, you need to provide
a source repo if you're distributing binaries. Or have a positive
arrangement with somebody else - that could vary on a
package-by-package basis.

Compile is not a tool to provide the source, since it relies on the
original location still being valid - it's analogous to distributing
diffs (which isn't good enough for the same reason).
-Michael