[gobolinux-users] Compile and Gobo on other architectures

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Sun Nov 26 05:09:50 UTC 2006

On 11/25/06, Rayne Van-Dunem <raynenamibia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering how the port of Gobo's utils to PowerPC is coming along, plus
> a few questions.
>
> Since Compile is essentially Gobo's answer to Gentoo's Portage, would it be
> OK to assume that it, like Portage, would allow for the portability of any
> Gobo system (kernel, userland, etc.) to other architectures?
>
> I'm wondering about this because some Gentoo system is usually the first to
> be ported to any new or old architecture (such as Mac-on-Intel) due to the
> renowned flexibility of the Portage system that allows the operating system
> and its drivers to be built to fit the hardware.
>
> Does the Gobo project aim for a similar goal of being a "meta-distribution"?

Yes, we have been using Compile to create GoboLinux ports to other
architectures. Apart from the PowerPC one, we have successfully built
and ran it on ARM and Super-H (SH4) architectures. This was possible
thanks to the Compile's ability to cross-compile packages, using the
entire infrastructure already built for standard compilations.

I wrote two small documents on how to start a port using this set of
tools, plus some others developed to automate the process:

The original text:
http://gobolinux.org/index.php?lang=en_US&page=doc/articles/going_embedded

And a more up to date (live) document:
http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/GoboLinux_Embedded

So, there's a couple of tools to help us to grown the supported
platforms. It's just a matter of man power to have more releases and
updates in this area.

--
Lucas