[gobolinux-users] Gobolinux Tutorial?

Vojta Grec gobo at morha.com
Sun Nov 26 13:09:57 UTC 2006

Thanks for very positive response, Lucas, the good thing about Gobo is the
staff also;-).

2006/11/26, Lucas C. Villa Real <lucasvr at gobolinux.org>:

> On 11/25/06, Vojta Grec <gobo at morha.com> wrote:
>
> > So I would like to encourage anybody that knows anything more than me
> about
> > Gobo to improve the docs.
> >
> > Now the constructive ideas:
> >
> > I'm lacking Tutorial too.
> >  I'm also lacking some in-depth docs of Gobo booting/working (e.g. is
> > AfterBoot KB page still valid?).
>
> It's pretty much outdated. Thanks for pointing us to it, we need to
> modify it to reflect to 013. (volunteers?)
>
> For me, the KB is quite chaotic in general (especially in comparation to
> the
> > Wonderful Wiki of Gentoo(TM)).
>
> Indeed, sometimes I feel lost myself there, too. Do you have
> suggestions on how to set up the layout of the current documentation?

As I wrote, when I have more time and succeed at least by half in my i586
efforts, I'll look at it, for now it should be pointless for me, I have many
other means of charity to deal with;-).

> Why the heck there is no manpage for Compile?? (I hope I wrote it right, a
> > week ago I run Gobo013 in qemu and was really surprised by lack of
> manpages
> > for Scripts overall; yes, they have --help but I am used to
> > manpages)[correct me if I'm wrong].
>
> Since there have been doing a lot of work being done on Compile and
> Scripts land, such as addition/removal of features and modifications
> on usage syntax, we decided to keep their documentation online only,
> which saved us from the problem of having synchronization problems
> (updating docs on the web page and forgetting the docs on the package
> itself).
>
> Personally speaking, I dislike to write manpages. It's boring and
> time-consuming. A script to parse the entries in the wiki and to
> automatically convert them to man pages would be very welcome, though.
> (volunteers, again?)

I could most assuredly handle that (maybe Perl would be better for that task
as Perl is very good and fast at work with text) but only under
circumstances mentioned before (I am no selfish but I really have lots of
other work, if  I had more time, I should do it right now but...)

> so I hope you'll get something from my suggestions.
>
> Sure we do. I'd just like to hear some suggestions on the layout of
> the wiki. Pointing to other wiki URLs where an interesting design is
> in use is fine.
>
> > I would happily use Gobo on
> > my notebook if I could (and I promise I'll try to one day;-) - well,
> I'll
> > try to do it as soon as possible but I'll surely need some hints. Is
> > #gobolinux on freenode active, resp. will I find there somebody to help
> me?
>
> Yes, usually you'll find some devs and users there. Sometimes they're
> just sleeping, but you can always do some noise in the channel to make
> them awake :-)

Nice to hear, I'll definitely disturb your peace there:-D.

--
> Lucas
> powered by /dev/dsp

Yep, I'd like to become a Gobo-enthusiast in my Linux heart as Gobo is what
I really missed... Your philosophy and courage to change/improve
quasi-standards and habits which other are very used to just excites me...

(Offtopic: Is there Gobo user 01001001 Jan Molič listening? Thanks to him I
hit the Gobo idea (he wrote an article about Gobo on Czech most well-known
linux portal Root.cz) If so, there is a message for you:
Používáš ještě GoboLiux? Snažil ses nějak o lokalizaci nebo ho používáš v
angličtině? Časem bych se případně pustil do nějakého překládání, ale nechci
na to být sám, mohli bychom založit nějaký český Gobo tým...)

Cheers,
Vojta