Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 17:44:14 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, Martin Baldan <martinobal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Your example was a bit hard to follow (my fault certainly, it's past
> > 1am as I write this), but work was put recently into revamping our
> > dependencies scheme, allowing to specify valid version ranges nicely,
> > recursive checking, etc. I think everything is in place now (André can
> > confirm this better as it's his code) but most recipes don't use it
> > yet. So, I think this is bound to improve over time.
>
> OK, my phrasing was rather obscure, so I'll take some real examples.
>
> martin1 at martinGobo /]cat /Programs/Firefox/Current/Resources/Dependencies
> ATK
> Cairo
> Expat
> GCC
> GLib
> Glibc
> GTK+
> LibPNG
> LibStdC++
> Pango
> Xorg
> ZLib
>

> martin1 at martinGobo /]cat /Programs/Gimp/Current/Resources/Dependencies
> ATK 1.10.1
> Cairo 1.0.0
> Expat 1.95.8
> Fontconfig 2.3.2
> FreeType 2.1.10
> GLib 2.8.1
> Glibc 2.3.2
> GPM 1.20.1
> GTK+ 2.8.6
> JPEG 6b
> LCMS 1.14
> LibART_LGPL 2.3.17
> LibExif 0.6.12
> LibMNG 1.0.6
> LibPNG 1.2.8
> LibRSVG 2.9.5
> LibXML2 2.6.22
> Pango 1.10.0
> Xorg 6.8.2
> ZLib 1.2.3
> martin1 at martinGobo /]
>
> So, if I got it right, Firefox will accept any version of its dependencies,
> while Gimp requires specific versions of each one.

Yes, that what it says, though there is still some confusion over the
"Foo 1.0" syntax. We're switching to "Foo = 1.0" or "Foo >= 1.0" now.

> First question: Who builds those dependency lists, each project's managers
> or Gobolinux devs? (I assume the latter will at least have to write the
> right package names, but do they follow indications from the former, or do
> they decide on their own?).

Whoever writes the recipe (ie, devs/contributors, not the upstream
devs, though of course we do it based on the dependency relations set
by upstream).

> Second question: What happens when, say, Cairo is updated? I assume Gimp
> will stick to its old version (Cairo 1.0.0), but will Firefox automatically
> relink the the newest version of Cairo? Or will it do it the next time you
> compile Firefox?

Depends on what is currently symlinked in the system. The dependency
files are used by the tools, but ultimately, what happens in runtime
is defined by what's linked in, which can be overriden by the using
calling SymlinkProgram explicitly.

-- Hisham