[gobolinux-users] Xorg problems

André Detsch detsch at gobolinux.org
Mon Nov 27 23:23:46 UTC 2006

On 11/27/06, Paul Dann <giddie at christian.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I installed a minimal GoboLinux system for a server and am now trying
> to get Xorg+KDE working.  Now that new packages are available I decided
> to have another go at installing them, so I RemoveProgramed Xorg and rm
> -rfed the directory, RemoveBrokenLinksed (hehe got to love silly words)
> everything below /System/Links and did InstallPackage Xorg.  After
> install, Xorg had difficulty accessing certain files, so I checked the
> permissions and discovered that certain files in Xorg/Current/bin were
> owned by "fibo", including the Xorg binary itself.

Looks like a bug on Xorg recipe pre_link() function, which calls
   chmod +s X*
Probably this command is not required anymore, and should be removed
(it looks like a workaround for an old bug from FiboSandbox). I'll try
a new build later. Thanks for reporting.

> I chowned to root:root and set ug+s.

Try setting chmod a+x X*

> Startx now works for root, but not for my
> normal user.  The problem seems to be related to fonts, because even
> though the server will start when I'm root, KDE shows little boxes
> instead of characters where there should be writing.  Is it another
> permission problem?

If the above chmod does not work, try using
strace startx 2> ~/output.txt
to check for access permission problems.

--
Andre Detsch