[gobolinux-users] Gobolinux Tutorial?

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 23:26:37 UTC 2006

On 11/25/06, Vojta Grec <gobo at morha.com> wrote:
>    - Why the heck there is no manpage for Compile?? (I hope I wrote it
>    right, a week ago I run Gobo013 in qemu and was really surprised by lack
> of
>    manpages for Scripts overall; yes, they have --help but I am used to
>    manpages)[correct me if I'm wrong].

Thanks for the heads up. "--help" is indeed our preferred help output
(as it is generated by the option parser and therefore stays
consistent), but long ago the option parser was made compatible with
help2man, so manpages can be genarated from --help. I'm adding the
generation of manpages to our Makefile, so the next Scripts and
Compile release will feature manpages.

>    - I know Gobo is targeted on experienced users but should be more
>    "open" in my opinion (I don't mean kinda click-and-go solutions; I
> consider
>    myself an experienced user (as I use linux (Slackware, Ubuntu, Suse,
>    Fedora...) for 2+ years and had 1+ year of Unix at school) but for
> example
>    I'm quite not sure in compiling things on my own. I don't want you to
> teach
>    me but link to some other general tutorial or howto (on compiling in this
>    case) would be enough.

We used to have docs on this but they are very outdated, so they were
doing more harm than good. :( Documentation is really lacking at this
point.

>    - The community package/recipe creation is still not perfect. My
>    insipration would be ArchLinux's AUR.

Yes, we're working on it.

>    - The last and most important for me: the most important thing of
>    making a software project is good docs (well, just *after* the
> programming
>    itself;-)). When I write some piece of software, I make a doc-page just
>    after adding a new feature. I'm not blaming you as I don't know your "doc
>    making habits" (and I know you've done LOTS of great work) but you should
>    make the docs at least more apparent. Making some more strict rules for
>    package and docs creration would be enough.

Maybe we should do another one-week push to improve the wiki like
we've done last year. Unfortunately I don't have a fraction of the
time I had last time to put into the doc project :( but if it is
decided to do it, I'll try to help.

-- Hisham