Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 01:25:40 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, Jonas Karlsson <jonka750 at student.liu.se> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:14:18 +0100, Martin Baldan <martinobal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Well "linked in" programs are not the same thing as "linked against"
> programs. You have to separate the libraries that an application is linked
> against and what libraries that are linked in in GoboLinux.

Then I guess I want to know what libraries are linked in (the ones that will
actually be loaded when I run the executable). But who decides what
libraries are linked against and who decides what libraries are linked in?
And does SymlinkProgram know  about this?

> Fortunatly most apps are not that specific, but problems can arise when
> one makes major version upgrades.

Well, I would prefer that they are totally specific in the sense that they
only accepted tested versions. I think that, for the desktop, most of the
times consistent reliability is more important than timely upgrade. Then, an
"upgrade manager" can find out when an older version of a library is not
required any more (but maybe it's still being used!) by any application and
suggest the corresponding upgrades to the user. These upgrades should be
reversible, and they may consist of just relinking the application, without
having to upgrade its version (both options should be given). What I mean is
that a given application version, say Firefox 1.5.0.7, could have its
dependencies file modified over time, to reflect the fact that more library
versions have been tested. So, you could get rid of an old library by just
relinking Firefox 1.5.0.7, instead of upgrading to Firefox 2.0.