Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 01:17:35 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:

So you're envisaging a system where you have to re-run SymlinkProgram,
> for every installed program, every time you run or compile something?
> I don't see how else you can effect this (on Linux; Plan9 and possibly
> Hurd could do it).

No, I'm just proposing additional verifications ("tested compatibility"
requirements) at compile time, and a lightweight daemon that regularly
checks for updates in the "tested compatibilities" information, and informs
the user when an upgrade is recommended. Just a little overhead at compile
time and no overhead at runtime (plus the small overhead of the daemon).

On another (i.e. non-Gobo) system, /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
> would just be overwritten with a new symlink to
> libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1302.0 when you installed this version. There
> should be guaranteed compatibility for all versions holding that
> symlink; if not, it's the library that's broken and it needs to be
> fixed. Libraries with the same name should hold ABI compatibility.

They should, but do they always do? From a user point of view, I think it's
important that, once you check that a program works, you know its libraries
won't be replaced by other supposedly compatible libraries without your
consent. Gobolinux lets you keep old libraries along with new ones. I want
it lo leverage this fact. In the worst case, if the user always says "no" to
upgrades, this could lead to a system having too many versions of each
library. To avoid this, you can trust your upgrades to the upgrade manager,
who would upgrade apps on its own, but only based on information about real
tests, performed by users and uploaded automatically to an online database,
not based on assumptions, as it's currently done.

 --Martin