Michael Homer gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com
Thu Nov 30 05:51:53 UTC 2006

On 11/30/06, Martin Baldan <martinobal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:
> No, they do it at run-time. When I said "I give it this library version" I
> mean that's the one the link points to. But I begin to see your point: it
> can only link to one version at a time, hence your objection that different
> programs can't use different sub-versions of the same library if those
> programs are all linked against the same version, because the version is a
> link to a sub-version, and only one. Is that your objection? More on that
> later.
Yeah, that's it.
> > It is very rare for an application to link against a highly specific
> > version like that. The libraries DO have exactly the same name, as far
> > as they're concerned.
>
> At run-time the program fetches whatever is in the adress the program is
> linked against, and it uses it, that's what you mean, right?
Yes.

> > That's not how it works. You're going to have to patch every program
> > on your system to resolve symlinks and link against a specific
> > version.
>
> In a sense, yes, but the patching would be automated and it would only
> happen at compile-time. Compile takes the program source, it reads what
> libraries the program wants to be compiled against, then finds out which
> sub-versions (actual libraries) would compy with this requirement (among
> those available in Gobolinux), then queries the "tested compatibility"
> database and decides which full version to use. Then, it patches the source
> and compiles.
I guess that's possible - automated is really a bit of a stretch, but
in a lot of cases it could be mostly automatic. It's likely to cause
difficult-to-find bugs, though. I think you'd need to at the least
check, and probably make a few fixes, to the patches for every
program. In any case, Gobo policy has always been to patch as little
as possible, and I don't see that changing for this sort of minimal
benefit. It would need to be a very complicated system to handle
everything, especially with that level of patching.
-Michael