[gobolinux-users] i586 port

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Fri Sep 8 04:57:39 UTC 2006

On 9/7/06, Vojta Grec <gobo at morha.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> maybe you remember, I wrote (from another email which now I consider
> my private address) some months ago that I'm going to fiddle around
> Gobo i386 port... Well, I must admit that nothing happened, because I
> was really busy (I planned the port because I thought I would have an
> i386 notebook). Now I have the notebook but it's even i586, so I think
> (correct me) it should not be any problem to port Gobo to it. I needed
> to get the ntb running so now it's sucesfully loaded with Slackware.
> All I want to know is any piece of advice and recommendation
> preferably by any Gobo developer or skilled user that might help me
> doing the eventual port (is
> http://gobolinux.org/?page=doc/articles/porting_guide still valid?; do
> somebody have the sources for realpath? etc.). I have never done LFS
> so I wonder if I'll be able to do the port, but why not to try it, ha?

There's a recently updated documentation here which can be used if
you're considering doing a Gobo from scratch:
http://gobolinux.org/index.php?lang=en_US&page=doc/articles/going_embedded

Another alternative is to spin our old domain-specific i386 ISO, which
even had a GCC compiler. After updating its Scripts and Compile
packages you should be able to update a lot of packages by compiling
them natively in your laptop. I haven't found it online, but I still
have it on my hard disk. I'm generating the ISO here again and will
tell you the link for it as soon as I upload it to one of our mirrors
(that will be tomorrow, I'm leaving my pc now).

--
Lucas