[gobolinux-users] Prevent a process from paging out

Dan theyranos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 22:54:49 UTC 2006

I use evrouter (http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/
coding_evrouter.html) to make the extra buttons on my Logitech mouse
do stuff. I've noticed recently that if I don't use it for a while,
it can take as much as a minute for the button press to have any
result, whereas if evrouter has done something recently, the response
is instantaneous.

The only guess I have as to why this is happening is the swap file.
My hard drives are painfully slow, so paging in evrouter could
definitely explain the delay. Does anyone know a way (other than
buying more RAM) to prevent the machine from using the swap file for
a specific process?

Thanks
Dan