[gobolinux-users] Prevent a process from paging out

Carlo Calica carlo at calica.com
Sat Sep 9 03:26:39 UTC 2006

Hmm.  Is evrouter a "long running" process like a daemon or a quick
one that spawns for each event?

You said evrouter is starting scripts (sh??) based on the events.  In
a memory starved env the kernel must make room for those scripts by
swapping pages out.  If it's bash, that's probably a lot bigger than
evrouter.

On 9/8/06, Theyranos <theyranos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hm. I tried this, and it worked exactly once. After that, all
> attempts to use evrouter gave an error message saying something like
> "no devices were opened," which means to me that probably, the first
> launch locked some piece of shared memory that future evrouter
> instances also needed. Obviously the fix would be to add a
> corresponding munlockall, but the only way to stop evrouter is to
> kill it, and I know absolutely nothing about signal handling in C.
>
> At the moment, I'm running standard evrouter. When I have more time
> (probably tomorrow), I'll figure out the signal handling stuff and
> add the appropriate munlockall to check whether it solves the problem.
>
> Thanks!
>

> > man 2 mlock
> >
> > It'll require patching the source.  A quick ugly hack would be:
> >
> > add "#include <sys/mman.h>" with other headers
> > add "mlockall(MCL_FUTURE)" towards the beginning of main()
> >
> > Good luck.  If you have problems check the return code, also see the
> > section on Limits and permissions in the manpage.
> >
> > On 9/8/06, Dan <theyranos at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I use evrouter (http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/
> >> coding_evrouter.html) to make the extra buttons on my Logitech mouse
> >> do stuff. I've noticed recently that if I don't use it for a while,
> >> it can take as much as a minute for the button press to have any
> >> result, whereas if evrouter has done something recently, the response
> >> is instantaneous.
> >>
> >> The only guess I have as to why this is happening is the swap file.
> >> My hard drives are painfully slow, so paging in evrouter could
> >> definitely explain the delay. Does anyone know a way (other than
> >> buying more RAM) to prevent the machine from using the swap file for
> >> a specific process?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Dan
> >>

> > --