[gobolinux-users] Prevent a process from paging out

Dan theyranos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 15:53:41 UTC 2006

> On 9/8/06, Dan <theyranos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You said evrouter is starting scripts (sh??) based on the
>>> events.  In
>>> a memory starved env the kernel must make room for those scripts by
>>> swapping pages out.  If it's bash, that's probably a lot bigger than
>>> evrouter.
>>
>> It's sh. And yeah, that's probably the bottleneck. As usual, I failed
>> to think of something blatantly obvious before I made a fool of
>> myself on a public list.
>
> Remember, public lists also help out less experienced people who are
> more likely to be lurking than contributing. Assuming that loading
> bash/sh is the problem, what's your solution? Is there a minimal shell
> you can use to replace it by starting the script with #!/bin/tinysh or
> something?

The "obvious" part was that bash/sh was the problem. I haven't really
got a good solution. Next time I have a lot of spare time (and am not
working on more pressing matters, such as schoolwork or Rootless
fixes), I'll probably change my shell script to a tiny C++ program
and/or compile the functionality I want into a specialized version of
evrouter. If anyone else has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

> It's not so obvious to everyone. :-)

That's because I worded it poorly =)