[gobolinux-users] Make packages from tgz to Gobo-Package...

Dan theyranos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 16:51:15 UTC 2006

No script for this exists yet. Problem is that the contents of the
slackware packages expect things to follow the directory layout (/
opt, /usr, /etc) of a normal linux, which we do not.

Best thing to do would be to compile the program you need from
scratch. See whether there's already a recipe for it with
$ Compile ProgramYouWant
(Replacing ProgramYouWant with the name of the program you're trying
to get).

If you really need the contents of a slackware package installed on
your system, you can do it manually by creating folders for it in
Programs, then extractinig the package somewhere and copying bin,
lib, include, man or any other folders over. If the package has a
'share' folder, rename it to "Shared."

Once you're done, use SymlinkProgram to make Gobo install the /
Programs entry. It may work, but only if the program you're
installing doesn't have a hardcoded 'root' string, or hardcoded file
paths.

If we don't already have a recipe for the program you need, ask the
list to create one, and someone probably will.