[gobolinux-users] New GoboLinux packages is available!

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Mon Sep 25 03:59:52 UTC 2006

On 9/24/06, Viola Zoltán <violazoli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I am a Beginner, I can not make recipies! I use Gobo only in 1 week!
>
> Zoli

Ah, no problem! :-)

Just a question then: how are you proceeding to create these packages?
Just in case you're fetching them and manually compiling with
"./configure --prefix=/Programs/Foo/Version", there's a few handy
scripts that might turn your compilation process more easy and
bug-free.

The first one you might already have discovered -- it's Compile. So,
if you want to compile a program named, say, "Croquete", you'll just
need to type "Compile Croquete". If a recipe for Croquete is not
found, you must then download its sources and manually compile it. To
help you on this task there's the second script called MakeRecipe.

Its usage is pretty simple: just type "MakeRecipe
http://croquete.url/croquete-1.0.tar.bz2" and it will fetch the file,
deduce the program's name and version, inspect its contents (to
discover which compilation method it uses) and create an initial
recipe for it (which hopefully will be sufficient to compile the
program). The recipe will be stored at
/Files/Compile/LocalRecipes/Croquete/1.0. Inside that dir you'll have
a file called "Recipe", which can be used to enhance and better
describe its compilation needs.

And that's all. Now there's a recipe for Croquete, and you can just
type "Compile Croquete", which will use the template created by the
previous steps. After your compilation succeeds, there will be a new
file called /Files/Compile/Store/Croquete--1.0--recipe.tar.bz2, which
can be sent to our gobolinux-recipes mailing list. This way, anyone
else going to compile that program will automatically benefit from
your contribution, with no need to repeat the entire process.

You might want to try that with some simple programs just to get a
better feel. After that, just in case you become addicted to Compile,
you might want to bookmark Compile's documentation page, available at
http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/Compiling_from_source .

Well, that's all. I hope this is of some help to you :-)

Cheers,

--
Lucas