[gobolinux-users] configuration internet access

Carlo Calica carlo at calica.com
Fri Feb 2 06:33:30 UTC 2007

Improving the network boot scripts for wireless is on my todo list.
I'm pretty lucky that running dhcpcd on wlan0 just works for me.  I
even have multiple APs and it has always chosen the one I want.

I have a few questions.  First, the device needs to be up before
setting essid?  Second, how long of a wait between setting essid and
running dhcpcd?  Does increasing the dhcp timeout (dhcpcd -t # -h
hostname rausb0) help at all?

Adding iwconfig to NetworkOptions isn't a good idea.  Best way is to
define some variables in NetworkOptions (say rausb0_WifiEssid and
rausb0_WifiKey or maybe Wireless instead of Wifi, suggestions?)  Then
add a function WirelessInterface() to Network task
(/P/BootScripts/C/R/Tasks/Network) that calls iwconfig based on the
variables.  Call WirelessInterface from NetworkInterface if either
vars exist.  Anyone see a problem with that plan?

I'd also like to create ifup and ifdown scripts as well.  Lucas, where
should those live?

On 2/1/07, Benjamin Bruheim <grolgh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not the same kind of problem, but I really wonder how to do this. I
> have a poor wifi connection. However, as NetworkOptions works now
> there is no immidiate way of setting the essid. And if dhcpd is run
> without being connected it is removed from ifconfig.
>
> So now I basically have to do after reboot (where rausb0 is my wifi):
> sudo ifconfig rausb0 up # Since dhcpd ripped it down, and setting
> essid without has no effect
> sudo iwconfig rausb0 essid syslink # Set essid
> (... wait & pray for a good connection ...)
> sudo dhcpd -n rausb0
>
> At first glance I could add iwconfig...essid to NetworkOptions
> somehow. But since I have to wait an unspecified amount of time I am
> not sure how to proceed.

Carlo J. Calica