[gobolinux-users] ALSA doesn't work

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Jun 29 18:56:39 UTC 2007

Patrick Smith <baelog01 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I read through the mail list and it seems that sound is a perpetual
> problem with GoboLinux and yet the wiki has nothing on how to fix
> sound problems. I think sound problems certainly deserve some
> attention.

I've not noticed that, but I'll take your word for it.  I have a
snd-ali5451 and a snd-usb-audio both working fine, with mixing and so
on.  However, I don't use KDE.  I added a line

Exec "Restoring Sound" alsactl restore

to /System/Settings/BootScripts/Graphic and I think that's all.

[...]
> - the card is an integrated VIA 82xx
> - during bootup ALSA reports: "No soundcard found"
> - lspci does list the card
> - /dev/dsp does exist
> - arts pops up with a "sound server error" if KDE is set to use ALSA
> - arts generally doesn't work
> - alsaconf reports an error, something  like  "cannot find default: no such card"
>
> So how do I fix this?

Does lsmod show the right snd modules?
If not, can you modprobe snd-via82xx OK?
What is in the file /proc/asound/cards?

I'm puzzled by the /dev/dsp report.  It shouldn't exist without ALSA.
Does dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/dsp count=2 produce noise?
What is ls -l /dev/dsp (and ls -l $(readlink /dev/dsp) too)?

I'm not sure I've ever used alsaconf.  Does it work for anyone?

Hope that helps,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.