[gobolinux-users] weird network behaviour

kenneth marken k-marken at online.no
Fri Jun 29 19:53:46 UTC 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007 21:23:40 kenneth marken wrote:
> On Friday 29 June 2007 21:22:04 demian florentin wrote:
> > I guess your mac address is also constantly changing, therefore ethN also
> > changes, if that's the case you should make an udev rule telling udev to
> > keep a mac address for that card.
> > I've never done it in gobolinux but i assume you should add a rule to
> > /System/Settings/udev/rules.d.
> > this link might help:
> > http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
>
> hmm, weird that i should keep changing...
>
> ill have to look into it, thanks. i just didnt expect it to be issued a new
> eth each time.

yep, its udev thats acting up allright. seems one of its scripts keep adding
to one of the others.

a quick hack for me would be to nuke the one that keeps setting the eth*
entries as i have no idea how the udev script works.

as in, both card have the same mac maintained, but each time the driver is
modprobed in the script triggers and writes out a new line in the script
thats supposed to maintain the eth across reboots. funny thing is that while
firewire kept getting eth0 (even if it had as many entries in the script file
as my true ethernet card) the ethernet card got a new eth each time.

ugh, udev scripts are deep waters for me :(