[gobolinux-users] sandboxintall broken?

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Fri Jun 29 21:22:11 UTC 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:13:50 +0200, kenneth marken <k-marken at online.no> wrote:

> On Friday 29 June 2007 23:05:17 kenneth marken wrote:
>> On Friday 29 June 2007 22:53:37 Jonas Karlsson wrote:

>> > Which page? I'll take a look at it.
>>
>> http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/Manual_Compile

Actually I couldn't see anything wrong with that page, except that it didn't
mention that one should try to create a recipe first and only use manual
compilation if everything else fails, so I've added this.

>> > Secondly 'SandboxInstall -h' does print (as a note)
>> >
>> > "Normally you'll want to use Compile(1) instead.
>> > 'SandboxInstall' is called by Compile(1)."
>> >
>> > Perhaps that should be rephrased to emphasize it?
>>
>> now, if Compile(1) had the option to go ahead and try to create a recipie
>> if you aimed it at a tar-ball and it could not find one (outside of it not
>> being able to contact any server) it would be golden. but right now i dont
>> see it does not, at least automatically. that way one had only two
>> commands. Compile for when one is working on source, InstallPackage when
>> wanting to install a package.
>
> looked into it some more and i find that the toolkit is more buildt around
> finding the download url, set up the place for it to live ones done, and then
> have the system download it. while good, it would be nice if it had some kind
> of option for when one have allready downloaded the sourcecode and wants to
> install it from the comforts of ones home dir.

Please look at the --help for each of the tools. Most of the tools support the
'--no-fetch' option, which prevents the script to go online. So in your case the
commands would be:
'MakeRecipe --no-fetch foo 1.2 http://some.bogus/or/real/url'
'Compile --no-fetch foo 1.2'
If you use a real url for MakeRecipe you don't have to specify name and version
in most cases.

--
/Jonas