[gobolinux-users] KDE: Create new.... symlink???

kenneth marken k-marken at online.no
Fri Sep 7 06:40:06 UTC 2007

On Friday 07 September 2007 08:35:55 Michael Homer wrote:
> On 9/7/07, Andy Feldman <nereusren at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > What's the "..." here? Where does the symlink point? I can't duplicate
> > > this here.
> >
> > I get the same thing. If I right-click in Konqueror file browser and
> > choose "Create New" > "Text File...", it creates a symlink
> > to /Programs/KDE-Base/3.5.3/Shared/templates/.source/TextFile.txt.
> > Similarly with all the other file types that appear in that section of
> > the "Create New" submenu. It's not restricted to the entries from
> > KDE-Base: Creating a new office text document makes a link
> > to /Programs/KOffice/1.6.1/Shared/templates/.source/TextDocument.kwt.
>
> It doesn't for me for any of them (ls -l confirms it), and so far as I
> can tell I have basically the same setup as the original poster,
> although there are a couple of KDE components that are still at 3.5.6
> (-Network is one, I don't remember the other). So I can't explain
> what's going on for everybody else...

wild guess, when kde does a "create new" what it does its copy a existing file
into place under a new name. or atleast thats how it looks. so can it be that
it ends up copying the symbolic links  that gobo use rather then the files in
question?

hmm, only thing i know i have done is to recompile kde-base so as to get smb
support. outside of that im using binary packages as much as possible.