[gobolinux-users] KDE: Create new.... symlink???

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Fri Sep 7 06:48:43 UTC 2007

2007/9/7, kenneth marken <k-marken at online.no>:
> On Friday 07 September 2007 08:35:55 Michael Homer wrote:

> > > I get the same thing. If I right-click in Konqueror file browser and
> > > choose "Create New" > "Text File...", it creates a symlink
> > > to /Programs/KDE-Base/3.5.3/Shared/templates/.source/TextFile.txt.
> > > Similarly with all the other file types that appear in that section of
> > > the "Create New" submenu. It's not restricted to the entries from
> > > KDE-Base: Creating a new office text document makes a link
> > > to /Programs/KOffice/1.6.1/Shared/templates/.source/TextDocument.kwt.
> >
> > It doesn't for me for any of them (ls -l confirms it), and so far as I
> > can tell I have basically the same setup as the original poster,
> > although there are a couple of KDE components that are still at 3.5.6
> > (-Network is one, I don't remember the other). So I can't explain
> > what's going on for everybody else...
>
> wild guess, when kde does a "create new" what it does its copy a existing file
> into place under a new name. or atleast thats how it looks. so can it be that
> it ends up copying the symbolic links  that gobo use rather then the files in
> question?
>
> hmm, only thing i know i have done is to recompile kde-base so as to get smb
> support. outside of that im using binary packages as much as possible.

I think the difference in setup is that those that get the symlink has
other templates installed, which would make SymlinkProgram expand
every directory and make the files links, instead of how Michael (and
I) have it where the link is /System/Links/Shared/templates ->
/Programs/KDE-Base/3.5.6/Shared/templates and
/System/Links/Shared/templates/.source/foo is a real document.

Konqueror should read the link, so this should be reported as a bug upstream.
--
/Jonas