[gobolinux-users] KDE 4 install problems

Daniele Maccari gobo.users at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:57:25 NZDT 2008

Hi There wrote:
> I've been trying to install KDE 4 since last night. I don't think too
> many other people have tried it out, so hopefully my trials and
> tribulations help smooth the installation out for others.
You should really ask Giambattista on this topic, as he's the actual
recipe's maker :D
Anyway, let's try to answer at my best.

> Here are the problems I've encountered, newest ones first:
>
> KDE-Utils fails during SandboxInstall with the following error:
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
> `/Programs/KDE-Utils/4.0.0/share/dbus-1/interfaces/org.kde.KWallet.xml',
> needed by `kwallet/kwallet_interface.cpp'. Stop.
> make[1]: *** [kwallet/CMakeFiles/kwalletmanager.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> KDE-Base (or something in its dependecies) asks if I want to remove or
> keep it twice in a row during the PrepareProgram step. I answered keep
> twice. SymlinkProgram later went into an infinite loop when "Creating
> expanded directory" - it kept recreating the same list of directories
> over and over.
This issue was already experienced by Giambattista again, but I can't
remember in which thread on the list he talks about it. It was something
KDE4 related, however.

> KDE-Libs requires shared-mime-info, which depends upon Perl having
> XML::Parser installed. Not sure how this should be handled in a
> recipe, but Compile fails until you install XML::Parser (which itself
> pulls in a whole slew of other perl modules).
>
> KDE-Libs dependency Soprano needs cmake and qmake to compile. I think
> all of the new KDE packages need these too. qmake is found in Qt 4,
> which currently isn't listed as a dependency (neither is cmake).

Just add them as dependencies in the Resources/Dependencies file for the
recipe. In case of specific version requirements you can use multiple
constraints using a comma between them, like

QT > 4.0.0, < 4.1.0
> In general, these packages pull in a lot of depencies and take a lot
> of time to compile... I see conflicting symlink warnings in red every
> now and then, but can't really keep track of which packages generate
> the warning, and I'm definitely missing some. Is there a way to tell
> Compile to SymlinkProgram -f when installing? Compile's help doesn't
> show that as an option.

What do you mean with "-f"? If what you're searching for is an option
that let you overwrite the conflicting links you can use the "--conflict
overwrite" one. Otherwise, I didn't get it :P

> If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix these problems (esp. the
> first two) I'm all ears
>
> ;)
I hope this helps, bye!