[gobolinux-users] Kernel modules woahs

Michael Homer michael at gobolinux.org
Thu Feb 7 22:34:59 NZDT 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 10:21 PM, James Mathews <jammers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey.
>
> I've recently installed gobo linux and I'm loving it, brilliant idea
> and well implemented.
>
> I'm having a little trouble with some kernel modules though....
>
> I have an rt2500 wi-fi card. There are kernel drivers for this (I used
> them in my last linux setup). I downloaded the drivers and compiled
> the modules. I ran modules_install from the makescript with the
> drivers and It installed them to:
>
> /Programs/Linux/2.6.23.8/Resources/Unmanaged/System/Kernel/Modules/2.6.23.8-Gobo/extra/rt2500.ko
Modules actually go under /System/Kernel/Modules - putting it there
should result in it being picked up (after a depmod, possibly). That
would be enough to get you going.

However, you'd probably be better off in the long run making a recipe
rather than installing it manually. Look at one of the other kernel
module recipes to model it after (Madwifi seems like a good minimal
one); the important part is the
unmanaged_files=(${goboModules}/$(uname -r)/...) section. A recipe
would make the recompilation process easier in future and help others
with the same hardware.
-Michael