[gobolinux-users] OpenSSH issues in 014rc2 -- also in later versions?

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Sun Feb 10 21:23:10 NZDT 2008

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 09:17:24 +0100, Samuel A. Falvo II <sam.falvo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm on an older release, but I've not seen any traffic about this
> here, nor can I find anything in the bug tracker about this, so I'm
> wondering if this is still an issue.
>
> OpenSSH installation does not create the required host keys, and
> /var/empty has incorrect permissions by default (the exact sequence of
> commands to execute to generate host keys was taken from
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_SSHD_Host_Keys ):

This is known and fixed in the last recipe of OpenSSH. See PostInstall
script in the OpenSSH recipe.

> A simple chmod 700 /var/empty seems to have done the trick.

 From the README.privsep in the OpenSSH source:

You should do something like the following to prepare the privsep
preauth environment:

     # mkdir /var/empty
     # chown root:sys /var/empty
     # chmod 755 /var/empty
     # groupadd sshd
     # useradd -g sshd -c 'sshd privsep' -d /var/empty -s /bin/false sshd

which matches my current environment and installation of OpenSSH, so I
don't see your issue.

--
/Jonas