[gobolinux-users] Cannot get a network manager working on GoBo

Michael Homer michael at gobolinux.org
Tue Apr 7 13:41:52 NZST 2009

2009/4/7 Jeffrey Hoogland <jeff at hobhq.com>:
> I have installed from the LiveCD to find that there is no network software
> installed by default.
>
> I downloaded three different packages from here:
>
> http://www.gobolinux.org/?page=packages&name=network&version=
>
> I tried NetworkManager 0.6.6
> and KDE-Network 4.0.4 and 3.5.8
>
> After trying to run them on my GoBo install upon running them the window
> would close out shortly after hitting "checking dependencies" any ideas how
> I can get my network live on my system? It is getting rather tedious booting
> into a Live Ubuntu CD downloading files, and then booting back into GoBo to
> try them out xD
(I have also responded to your forum post).
You can install NetworkManager if you want. Otherwise edit
/System/Settings/NetworkOptions according to the documentation to
configure your network. Most wired cards are enabled as modules in the
kernel and dhcpcd and ifconfig are installed by default, so there is
not no network software.

If you're using wifi you will want either Wireless-Tools or
WPA_Supplicant and will probably have to install the driver firmware
for your card - there are recipes for most of the common ones, but
there is a bit of a bootstrapping problem when you have no network
starting out (and we mostly can't include them on the CD for licence
reasons). You can download the recipes from recipes.gobolinux.org,
extract them into /Files/Compile/Recipes, and drop the relevant source
tarballs into /Files/Compile/Archives to build them without the
network, or use a wired connection temporarily to get set up. There
are a couple of wireless howtos on the wiki.

You can install packages downloaded manually by running
`InstallPackage /Path/To/Package--i686.tar.bz2` in a terminal. You
should be able to see what's going on then and they should work (you
may get signature validation errors; they're not a problem in
themselves, but if you want to verify them you'll have to upgrade
Scripts piecewise until you get to the latest release. Otherwise, you
can just `SymlinkProgram foo 1.0` to link them in and ignore the
signature).
-Michael