[gobolinux-users] rootless and glibc

David Koppstein david.koppstein at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 14:51:30 NZST 2009

Michael Homer wrote:
> On Sunday 19 April 2009 12:49:37 David Koppstein wrote:
>
>> That is very cool, thanks for enlightening me. I have another question
>> -- is it possible to get Compile to work on other *nix, i.e. by
>> configuring it symlink to ~/bin instead of /System/Links/Executables,
>> somewhat like GNU stow? I ask because there is a lot of package
>> management on that I'm doing on a university box that I don't have su
>> access to. I've already spent a fair amount of time writing scripts to
>> automate installation of some rather obscure packages, but it'd be nice
>> to work within the Compile framework.
>>
> http://gobolinux.org/index.php?page=rootless

You guys have really thought of everything :). I just installed Rootless
on the uni machine, which is x86_64. One minor bump, which was that I
had to install python2.5, but everything else worked in the installation.

However, when I did InstallPackage Compile, I got

readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
readlink)
readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
readlink)
readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
readlink)
readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
readlink)
readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
readlink)
readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
readlink)
InstallPackage: Locating a binary package for Compile ...
InstallPackage: Installing
http://kundor.org/gobo/packages/official/Compile--1.12.2--i686.tar.bz2
InstallPackage: Press Enter to continue or Ctrl-C to cancel.

dnk5 at bulldogi ~]InstallPackage Compile
[...]

This is bizarre, because the linux I'm running it on does indeed have
its own readlink, at /usr/bin/readlink.

It seems like rootless wants GLIBC_2.4 specifically. Looking in
/lib/tls, I think I've got glibc 2.3.4. As I don't have root access, is
there a way to manually install glibc 2.4 in a local lib folder, or to
otherwise circumvent this problem?

One more question -- can I do away with the Python install now that I've
bootstrapped rootless? I'd rather use Python 2.6 or 3.0 anyhow, rather
than the 2.5 libraries which rootless seemed to want.

A related bug in rootless I've found is that if you try to look at any
man pages, after you're done looking at them it starts doing

Przemek's Info Viewer v0.6.8
Searching for tag table done
Name collision between dumb dumb
Name collision between unknown unknown
Name collision between lpr lpr
Name collision between glasstty glasstty

until you have to hit Ctrl-C frantically.

Thanks,
David