[gobolinux-users] rootless and glibc

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 15:22:58 NZST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM, David Koppstein
<david.koppstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
> readlink)
> readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
> readlink)
> readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
> readlink)
> readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
> readlink)
> readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
> readlink)
> readlink: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
> readlink)
>
> This is bizarre, because the linux I'm running it on does indeed have
> its own readlink, at /usr/bin/readlink.

It appears that /usr/bin/readlink isn't what's being executed by
rootless though.  If memory serves me correctly, rootless provides
shell wrappers for a number of commonly used tools in one of its
directories, and those wrappers will appear in your PATH before
/usr/bin will appear.  Whether readlink is one of those wrappers, I
cannot recall.  I'd start looking there though.

> One more question -- can I do away with the Python install now that I've
> bootstrapped rootless? I'd rather use Python 2.6 or 3.0 anyhow, rather
> than the 2.5 libraries which rootless seemed to want.

3.0 is not compatible with 2.6 or earlier.  You're stuck with 2.x
series Python if you want to use rootless.

As far as being able to use 2.6 versus 2.5, I don't see why this is
any issue.  You might get warnings if you use 2.6 though, as the
Python scripts might import modules that are deprecated, but it'll
still work (in my experience at least).

--
Samuel A. Falvo II