[gobolinux-users] rootless and glibc

David Koppstein david.koppstein at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 16:16:30 NZST 2009

Thanks for all of your replies. Compile is now working beautifully. I
ran into this bug:

http://bugs.gobolinux.org/view.php?id=69

the workaround seemed to work.
> At some point I think Rootless installed its own readlink; I don't think it
> does any more, and I can't find where it would be. `which readlink` and see
> what it's using now.

In ${goboPrefix}/System/Settings/bashrc, I switched the order of PATH
from ${goboPrefix}/System/Links/Executables:$PATH to vice versa. That
worked fine.
>> It seems like rootless wants GLIBC_2.4 specifically. Looking in
>> /lib/tls, I think I've got glibc 2.3.4. As I don't have root access, is
>> there a way to manually install glibc 2.4 in a local lib folder, or to
>> otherwise circumvent this problem?
>>
> Rootless doesn't care what your glibc is, since you can't install packages
> anyway. CreateRootlessEnvironment automatically recompiles the few binary
> parts of Scripts at the beginning if your architecture doesn't match. If you
> want to rebuild that later on, run `make` in /Programs/Scripts/Current.
>
>> One more question -- can I do away with the Python install now that I've
>> bootstrapped rootless? I'd rather use Python 2.6 or 3.0 anyhow, rather
>> than the 2.5 libraries which rootless seemed to want.

Cool, I'll just upgrade to Python 2.6 using Compile now :)
> It doesn't require 2.5, that's just the minimum. 2.6 will work, 3.0 (of
> course) won't. You can install more than one in parallel too.
>
>> A related bug in rootless I've found is that if you try to look at any
>> man pages, after you're done looking at them it starts doing

This seems to have disappeared -- I am unclear as to why.