[gobolinux-users] Downloading from SourceForge

Jonas Karlsson cj.karlsson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 09:02:00 NZDT 2009

2009/1/11 Samuel A. Falvo II <sam.falvo at gmail.com>:
> I really need to know why I'm apparently the only human being, out of
> the Earth's entire population of 6.6 billion, who cannot use Compile
> to download packages from Sourceforge.  :(

Oh, sourceforge.net...
It's mirror system is broken. Sometimes a mirror works sometimes it
doesn't. And if you change mirror you can get the same behaviour. I
haven't found a mirror providing 100%.

> root at capella ~]Compile azureus
> Compile: Locating a recipe for azureus ...
> Compile: Found recipe for azureus
> GetRecipe: Trying to get /Files/Compile/Recipes/Azureus/3.0.5.2-r1
> Compile: Recipe placed in /Files/Compile/Recipes/Azureus/3.0.5.2-r1
> Compile: Checking dependencies...
> Compile: Compiling Azureus version 3.0.5.2, revision r1.
> --11:27:19--  http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/azureus/Azureus_3.0.5.2_linux.tar.bz2
>          => `Azureus_3.0.5.2_linux.tar.bz2'
> Resolving umn.dl.sourceforge.net... 128.101.240.209
> Connecting to umn.dl.sourceforge.net|128.101.240.209|:80...
>
> and it just sits there.
>
> Forever.
>
> I remember bringing this up before, and the solution was to alter
> Compile's configuration in /etc.  Do I have to do this every time I
> download a package?  And, furthermore, it doesn't always work anyway.

As I said, sourceforge.net's mirror system is seriously broken.

> I'm currently using Gobo 014rc1, but unless some bizarre environmental
> dependency has been fixed in 015, I doubt that upgrading will help.
> Clearly, this is a wget issue.

No, an sf.net issue.

> Can anyone please post how to either work around this problem or offer
> other solutions, besides manually visiting SF's website and
> downloading the package manually?  There's just too much useful stuff
> hosted (unfortunately) on SF for manual intervention to be considered
> an alternative.
>
> Thank you for reading; I'm sorry if I come off a little upset, but, I
> kind of am.  This is a monumental problem in my view, and not knowing
> how to fix this just perterbs me to no end.

It's ok. I get upset with sf.net from time to time as well. Currently I have
httpSourceforge=http://downloads.sourceforge.net
in my /System/Settings/Compile/Compile.conf. It's sf.net's load
balancer server, and while it may give you a none working mirror from
time to time, you can restart Compile and you may get a new mirror
next time. Sometimes I have manually gone to the sf.net homepage to
find which mirror that works (after I tried 3 with Compile) and
manually downloaded the file to /Files/Compile/Archives. Compile will
then match size and md5sum and will not try to download it again.

And as I said (and I say it again), it's a sf.net and their mirroring
system issue.
--
/Jonas