[gobolinux-users] udev settle timeout, "Compile" script, and module-autoload

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Fri Jan 30 14:52:14 NZDT 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Zbigniew Baniewski <zb at ispid.com.pl> wrote:
> Some new problems:
>
> - during the system start-up each time I can see a message: "udevadm
>  settle - timeout of 10 seconds reached" (followed by a list that is
>  a queue contents). It seems, that my machine is doing a bit too slowly
>  some kind of task - but it's strange, because a copy of the system started
>  from slower drive doesn't reveal nothing like that.
>
>  Currently I made that timeout longer in udev's task script (15 sec) - but,
>  actually, should I? And what kind of problem it is?

That indicates that udevd is still busy handling the various the
kernel netlink events. I've seen that happen when the computer had
some extra devices plugged in USB at boot time which required firmware
to be loaded. For this and similar reasons, sometimes Udev's settle
timeout is too small and needs to be manually increased; the default
is 180 seconds, which means that 10 is probably an optimistic value.

> - lately, when I'm trying to compile anything, each time I'm getting
>  messages like that:
>
>    GetAvailable: Cannot open
>    /System/Variable/tmp/Scripts-root/cache/officialPackagesLists0.bz2 -
>    compressed file ended before the logical end-of-stream was detected
>    GetAvailable: Removing....
>
>    GetAvailable: Cannot open
>    /System/Variable/tmp/Scripts-root/cache/contribPackagesLists0.bz2 -
>    compressed file ended before the logical end-of-stream was detected
>    GetAvailable: Removing....
>
>   Why is that? How can I fix it "once for always"?

I think that must be an indication that one of the mirrors is down.
Have a look at /System/Settings/Scripts/GetAvailable.conf and try to
change the order in officialPackagesList and contribPackagesList
arrays.

> - there's no /etc/modules - how can I force to load a chosen module during
>  system startup?

Add it to /System/Settings/BootOptions' UserDefinedModules array.

Lucas

--
If you're looking for a reason I've a reason to give
Pleasure, little treasure