[gobolinux-users] This time: Midnight Commander problems under Gobo

Zbigniew Baniewski zb at ispid.com.pl
Sat Jan 31 17:20:26 NZDT 2009

Thanks for the prompt response - and new question:

Since the switch to Gobo I had strange problems with Midnight Commander. The
first problem - pollution of .bash_history file with the entries like that:

#v+
 PROMPT_COMMAND='pwd>&8;kill -STOP $$'
 cd "`printf "%b" '\0057Users'`"
 cd "`printf "%b" '\0057'`"
 cd "`printf "%b" '\0057Files'`"
 cd "`printf "%b" '\0057Files\0057Compile'`"
 cd "`printf "%b" '\0057Files\0057Compile\0057Archives'`"
#v-

...at last I've solved using the tip found at:
(maybe someone will find it useful too)

#v+
  GNU Midnight Commander uses HISTCONTROL=ignorespace to hide some
  commands issued to bash like setting of the prompt or xterm title using
  escape sequences. Due to HISTCONTROL=ignoredups hardcoded in .bashrc,
  mc polutes .bash_history on each directory change.

  A possible fix is to check if HISTCONTROL is already set to ignorespace,
  and in that case, promote it to ignoreboth:

  if [ "$HISTCONTROL" = "ignorespace" ] ; then
      export HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth
  else
      export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
  fi
#v-

(I think, the above could be placed into every .bashrc, when preparing new
release. BTW: shouldn't be rather [ "$HISTCONTROL" == "ignorespace" ] ?).

But there's another problem under zsh (the one, that still keeps me
away from this shell):

During directory change (still when using mc) sometimes - no idea, what
it's depending on - there's a message: "cannot change directory..." (or
similar), although in fact it did change directory. Even worse: sometimes
it moves higher mc windows, making mc's screen unusable.

Unfortunately, googling for "mc +zsh" revealed nothing useful. But can't
believe, I'm the first one, who met this problem. So perhaps the solution
does exist already (probably it's something similar to the above)?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski