[gobolinux-users] Creating a subdirectory tree inside /Programs

Hisham hisham at apple2.com
Wed Jul 8 12:49:25 NZST 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Rafael Cunha de
Almeida<almeidaraf at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it could be useful as the number of installed programs grow. I
> use debian lenny right now and the following command gives me a rough
> estimate of how many different packages I have installed:
>        $ dpkg -l | grep ^i | cut -d' ' -f3 | cut -d'-' -f1 | uniq | wc -l
>        1033
> While the number of installed mainstream packages is probably less than
> that, I wouldn't think the number is smaller than 600. Isn't that a lot
> for only one directory? I suspect that, if the programs are divided into
> subcategories, it would be much easier to browse.

It's also worth noting that many distros, Debian included, store
compilation headers as separate packages (so you have something like
libncurses and libncurses-devel), so that number is quite inflated. In
my system (admittedly, a somewhat recent reinstall), the number of
entries at /Programs is currently 260.

-- Hisham