[gobolinux-users] "making a safe-copy of the installer program" is too slow

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 04:29:05 NZDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Cosmin Apreutesei
<cosmin.apreutesei at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just want to report that this feature takes unfeasibly long time to
> run, spawning a new process for every file of the program's tree. For
> big hunks like Linux or Glibc it could take forever -- never tried it

As far as GlibC is concerned, I've never had to delete that first --
compiling has taken only a few minutes (certainly less than five), and
installation in less than 10 seconds.

My particular problem with GlibC is the same one I have with UDev --
upgrading it inevitably breaks the entire system to the brink of
irreparability.  So, I've resigned myself to never upgrading GCC,
GlibC, or UDev without doing a full OS re-install, to ensure that the
pieces are a good fit for each other.  In many cases where a simple
SymlinkProgram isn't sufficient, I've found the time investment of
fixing these things to be greater than a nuke-and-pave re-install.  I
must point out that I usually install in alternating system
partitions, allowing me to just copy over bits and pieces of /Programs
from the old installation as I need them.  It seems to work well, as
long as you remember to SymlinkProgram manually again afterward.

> myself, I delete the program first by hand before recompiling, but
> that makes this feature a bug, rather.

How, precisely, do you succeed in recompiling if you delete GlibC
first?  Once it's deleted, no new commands can execute in the shell,
and only currently-running binaries continue to work.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II