[gobolinux-users] FW: Well...gobolinux community

Michael Homer michael at gobolinux.org
Fri Jan 29 11:46:05 NZDT 2010

[This was sent to me directly; I pass it on without comment (for now). Discuss?]

I'll just get to the point,
The biggest problem to this distribution is a sloppy webpage and forum
which prevents community to get bigger...
distribution itself has a BIG potential, mentioned on
distrowatch/phoronix/linuxtoday/desktoplinux  but it can't expand
because of those disadvantages..
Every person wants to have some place in community and the best start
is forum. You have your profile, people exchange knowledge, people
debate, promote, suggest, they get reputation for helping etc..

I want to keep it short,

GOOD
http://forum.kde.org/
http://forum.mandriva.com/

BAD
http://gnomesupport.org/forums/
http://www.kdevelop.org/phorum5/index.php

the same goes for their webpages and it has a big impact on the
overall product, lack of feeling that being there means something, and
that's better to use software everybody talks about.
You're making changes (file structure in my mind) that's should
attract new and existing linux users but where to?
New users won't stay, no point in that, they always have something to
ask and where would they do that? On forum who has one active member?
On mailing lists?
Existing (moderate) users won't stay, no point either, between who can
they exchange their knowledge? Development team? Yeah, right...
Anyway, I'm a linux user for years, but windows programmer (it's job,
it's paid) but lately I just want to push some ideas.
You have a nice one, and somebody has to say something...
In a year from now, hopefully, I'll have enough funds to start my
company, and well, one part will surely be concentrating on linux
(actually those funds are just for the bad times if nothing goes well
with linux projects), distribution or just software, who knows, maybe
I'll just merge somewhere...Until then, I have to start somewhere,
and, well, this is it.

Making new webpage and forum (phpbb with custom theme)  - one week
Making new distribution that would follow new page and forum...well
you tell me...