[gobolinux-users] FW: Well...gobolinux community

Eric Alan Solo sambarino1337 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:39:52 NZDT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Michael Homer <michael at gobolinux.org> wrote:
> [This was sent to me directly; I pass it on without comment (for now). Discuss?]
>
> I'll just get to the point,
> The biggest problem to this distribution is a sloppy webpage and forum
> which prevents community to get bigger...
> distribution itself has a BIG potential, mentioned on
> distrowatch/phoronix/linuxtoday/desktoplinux  but it can't expand
> because of those disadvantages..
> Every person wants to have some place in community and the best start
> is forum. You have your profile, people exchange knowledge, people
> debate, promote, suggest, they get reputation for helping etc..
>
> I want to keep it short,
>
> GOOD
> http://forum.kde.org/
> http://forum.mandriva.com/
>
> BAD
> http://gnomesupport.org/forums/
> http://www.kdevelop.org/phorum5/index.php
>
> the same goes for their webpages and it has a big impact on the
> overall product, lack of feeling that being there means something, and
> that's better to use software everybody talks about.
> You're making changes (file structure in my mind) that's should
> attract new and existing linux users but where to?
> New users won't stay, no point in that, they always have something to
> ask and where would they do that? On forum who has one active member?
> On mailing lists?
> Existing (moderate) users won't stay, no point either, between who can
> they exchange their knowledge? Development team? Yeah, right...
> Anyway, I'm a linux user for years, but windows programmer (it's job,
> it's paid) but lately I just want to push some ideas.
> You have a nice one, and somebody has to say something...
> In a year from now, hopefully, I'll have enough funds to start my
> company, and well, one part will surely be concentrating on linux
> (actually those funds are just for the bad times if nothing goes well
> with linux projects), distribution or just software, who knows, maybe
> I'll just merge somewhere...Until then, I have to start somewhere,
> and, well, this is it.
>
> Making new webpage and forum (phpbb with custom theme)  - one week
> Making new distribution that would follow new page and forum...well
> you tell me...
> From time to time somebody points to gobolinux, but there it
> stops...bad webpage, bad forum, almost two years without a
> release...and that's it...
>
> Just wait for the next wave and grab it...Please..
>
> I really think gobolinux is/was making a good progress and I hope you
> will reply with some nice informations...
>
> With apologies for my bad English,
> Petar
>
> [ed: later message:]
> I don't mind if you pass it on,
> I stopped because of the same reason,
> If I can't find right person to send this mail how could some average
> user would?
>
> Thx

in my opinion he sees the potential and wants gobolinux to become
popular, but i think he is wrong about the website and forum, it is
perfect the way it is, the problem is not the forum, but to look at
the issue of gaining more users he did mention not having a release
for a long time, i think that is closer to the root. but it's not
something that can be changed either, the developers are doing alot
and as soon as 015 is ready it will be released, maybe then we can try
to push for more users but for now there isnt really any "quick fix".
thats my opinion anyway