[gobolinux-users] FW: Well...gobolinux community

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 06:12:50 NZDT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:59 AM, Cosmin Apreutesei
<cosmin.apreutesei at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well gobo _is_ the DIY kind of distro, whether intentional or not. It

So is Slackware Linux, but you don't see anywhere near the degree of
self-righteousness in that community.

> I'm not sure the gobo devs identify this kind of users as their main
> target

It was crystal clear after reading the front matter on their website a
few years ago.  Has it been removed?

> but I wish they did and focus on them. How? By making/keeping
> Scripts and Compile hackable and transparent to programmers (i.e.
> keeping indirection and abstraction low and modularization high --
> bash is horribly complex/slow enough as it is).

As a professional software and test engineer, I can attest that
complexity dominates any project, including something as "simple" as
Gobo and/or its scripts, regardless of your intentions.

I find the menagerie of scripts supporting Gobo's infrastructure to be
quite confusing, for example.  But, I remember when they weren't.

An attitude like this _condemns_ Gobo merely as a footnote
distribution.  Perhaps what is needed, as some others have suggested,
is a genuine fork of Gobo whereby Gobo can be thought of as Gentoo or
Fedora Core -- always at the bleeding edge, while the more stable fork
can be compared to the more stable CentOS or RHEL.

So, what effectively blocks Gobo's success is, really, the philosophy
of the surrounding community, and the vision of its current
maintainers.

BTW, the website can use a substantial improvement, but I don't think
it is the fault for not having a larger user-base.  The original
poster listed the Gnome fora as an example of "bad" website design,
but c'mon, let's face it, there are almost as many Gnome users as
there are KDE users.  If you're going to pick a representative sample,
at least select something which doesn't contradict your assertion.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II