[gobolinux-users] FW: Well...gobolinux community

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 06:21:34 NZDT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Samuel A. Falvo II <sam.falvo at gmail.com> wrote:
> So is Slackware Linux, but you don't see anywhere near the degree of
> self-righteousness in that community.

I also want to clarify a few things: Slackware's community has also
been around for more than a decade now (at least since 1995, when I
first installed Slackware), and they also have a greater cultural
awareness (meaning, certain people's English is informed by the
culture they grew up in, and thus, otherwise intelligent statements
can be misinterpreted for stupidity, rudeness, or even naivity.[1])

[1] For example, I was given a compliment by an Italian the other day,
"Look.  You walk through an open door here."  When I first read this,
my initial reaction was WTF -- why are you insulting me?  It wasn't
until I asked him to explain what he meant that I discovered it was,
in fact, a message of unconditional agreement.

So let's remember that people ARE trying to help with Gobo.  Perhaps
the help is disorganized, but help comes nonetheless.  Instead of
scorning them, be polite.  It goes a long way.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II