[gobolinux-users] GoboLinux NAS

Michael Homer michael at gobolinux.org
Sat Jan 30 15:13:30 NZDT 2010

On Saturday 30 January 2010 14:54:53 Adam Windes wrote:
> Just curious if anyone has set up GoboLinux successfully as a NAS? Thinking
>  about going with something like FreeNAS, but I like Gobo's filesystem. I
>  think I've heard of people using it as a server, but not sure if I've
>  heard much with RAID and such. Any comments or suggestions?
I haven't heard of anybody using it for that, but I would be very interested
to hear where you get to. It's vaguely on my to-do list to set up a proper
network storage server (but it's been on the list for a long time and shows no
signs of moving off it any time soon, so...).

Other than software RAID and ZFS everything on the FreeNAS features list looks
like it's available now, with more or less configuration involved. There look
to be recipes for everything. I don't know what it would take to get RAID
going, but I think support is in the kernel now, so it can't be too
complicated. In any case, I think it should be possible to get all the same
functionality out of a Gobo box if you're willing to forgo the magic
integration they've worked on putting together, and the fun parts of ZFS.
Perhaps btrfs or nilfs would satisfy the requirements there though if you were
experimentally-minded. You'd also be able to use it as a broader server if you
wanted.

If all you want is a NAS setup with no fussing about configuration, and with
snapshotting and COW, FreeNAS looks like a reasonable option. Horses for
courses and so forth, and for just that functionality it doesn't really matter
what's under the hood. You probably wouldn't ever touch the filesystem on your
NAS box again, and they've already done the work to get everything running
smoothly together. If you want something a little broader you could go with
Gobo, and I'd be really interested in seeing a writeup of what you do. Or if
you just wanted to try something interesting.
-Michael