[gobolinux-users] FW: Well...gobolinux community

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:35:54 NZDT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Quite aside from the obvious "remember to check a forum" problem,
> gobolinux has got devs in Brazil, New Zealand, Sweden, England and
> probably many other locations.  When we access our email, it has
> already arrived at a location that is close to us and so it's fairly
> fast.  But when we access a web forum, someone will have to wait for
> the data to trickle across oceans and that's time which is better
> spent developing, don't you think?

This argument doesn't make sense.

In terms of "reading response time," both phpBB and mailing lists are
the exactly the same.  The few hundred milliseconds spent accessing
phpBB versus the few microseconds accessing a more local resource
doesn't even register on human perception until it starts to exceed
0.1 seconds, and even then, studies show people are content with
e-mail response times as long as two seconds.

However, one excellent reason I overwhelmingly prefer mailing lists
over phpBB is because my e-mail client has better search capability,
and it doesn't involve having to download theme data (like useless
banners, logos, cutesy icons that don't tell me crap, dancing paper
icons, et. al.).  Note that this isn't a performance issue -- it's a
pragmatic issue.

Otherwise, I completely agree with your response.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II