[gobolinux-users] Rolling-release model (was: DistroWatch.)

Gilnei M. Oliveira ogilnei at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 17:10:09 NZST 2011

On Fri Apr 1 03:22:30 NZDT 2011, Hisham Muhammad <hisham at
gobolinux.org > wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:42 AM, K Lowe <klowe at ricsonline.org>
>wrote:
>> Quote: "GoboLinux Forum: Support and General Discussion: Distrowatch:
>>
>> Charles Wilson
>>
>> Just trolling around Distrowatch and decided to check Gobo from there and
>> found that it was NOT listed in the "Select Distro" field but was in the
>> "Type Distro Name" field.
>>
>> Ummm...Is someone trying to tell me something?"
>>
>> Perhaps, as the DistroWatch information page for GoboLinux was updated on
>> the 25 March 2011 and its Status is now Dormant not Active.
>
>Hi,
>
>I don't know if it's fair to qualify the distro as "dormant" since the
>Recipes are being actively updated:
>
>http://recipes.gobolinux.org/
>
>But yes, the latest official iso is from late 2008, which is a *long*
>time ago. We had a work-in-progress ISO for 015 in the works for a
>long time but no one was able to dedicate the time required for the
>kind of sprint needed to polish it up for release. (The system is
>installable with some tweaks, but there were problems with the
>bootloader and some packages still had random crashes, which means not
>all builds were entirely clean).
>
>I run GoboLinux on a daily basis (014.01 at work, the unfinished 015
>at home) and I intend to keep using GoboLinux for the forseeable
>futere, which means we'll simply have to have a new release out
>eventually. There have been some talks offlist and some work related
>to building a new ISO from scratch, but nothing announceable yet. I
>know we've come to (adjusted to proportions) a "Duke Nukem Forever"
>sort of situation, but I guess what I wanted to say is that no, we
>haven't abandoned the project. :)
>
>-- Hisham

Hi,

How about turning the GoboLinux for a rolling-release model? This
philosophical change would make the use of recipes very updated with
the latest softwares releases and for this only are necessary a basic
bootable version in text mode because all another softwares would
obtained with Compile/InstallPackages...

bye

og