[gobolinux-users] GoboLinux ARM support

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Mon Jul 16 13:02:17 NZST 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Adam Windes <adam_windes at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi there, Adam,

> I was curious what the status is or what the possibility is of running
> GoboLinux on ARM. I know that there was ARM support previously, but that
> appears to be back with 003.
>
> http://wiki.gobolinux.org/index.php?title=GoboLinux_Embedded
>
> Would it be relatively easy to make 014.01 ARM ready?

Well.. I used to maintain the ARM port back in the day when I was
working with ARM platforms at work. It's been a while since I last
developed for ARM boards, so the GoboLinux port for that CPU stalled.
The cross-compiling hacks in the Compile / Scripts suite -- which were
operational back then -- were recently removed from the code base, as
they were just adding bloat and were not really serving for any
purpose anymore.

The answer to your question is probably "No", it wouldn't be easy to
make that 014.01 port. That would require, today, a running Linux
system on your ARM board from where you can compile all the packages .
The problem is that the most recent versions of the recipes no longer
care about ARM patches, and then some fundamental packages (e.g.:
Glibc and GCC) may just misbehave or fail to build.

If you have free time and are willing to try to do that yourself, then
I can help you to get started. Just drop me a note to let me know.

Thanks.

--
Lucas
"If you're looking for a reason I've a reason to give: pleasure,