[gobolinux-users] My new "distro"...

Viola Zoltán violazoli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 14:41:20 NZDT 2013

​​
Hi everybudy... :)

Finally, It is succeeded to me, to create a new working "release" of a
"gobo-fork"... The name: "KISS". Of course, the "KISS" is an abbreviation
of the "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

This "distro" is NO compatible with the original GoboLinux! It has a little
bit different directory-structure.

All links depend at the "root-link", named "_". This is in the / dir, and
it present the actual/proper "root" directory of the current KISS-release!

For ekzample:

_ -> Releases/2014

Every other links in the / , point/show across/via the _ link:

/root -> _U/root
/home -> _/U
(The root no in the U directory, because with this technique it is possible
the full U directory to placed a different partition.)
/bin, /sbin -> _/S/L/E
/lib -> _/S/L/Y
/usr -> _/usr
/var -> _/S/V
/boot -> _/S/Kernel/Boot
/etc -> _/S/O

As You can see, I use mostly just only single characters for the directory
names. This is easy to written scripts. The cheaf names:

P = Programs
L = Links
E = Executables
Y = Libraries (librarY)
H = Headers
T = share ("The Others")
S = System
O = Settings ("Options")
V = Variables
F = Files
U = Users
C = the .pc files (I hate all...)
X = libeXec files
D = documents

subdirectories of D:
I = info pages
M = manual pages
doc = other docs

The significance of this "_", that you no must have other own partition to
a new release of this "KISS" distro! Just unpack it to a new subdir under
/Releases dir, change the "/_" link to this dir, and you can use it, and if
you not like the new release, you can easily "downgrade" it, with the
back-writing of the "/_" link!

Under the P dir, every programs is in its own subdirectory, of course, like
as the GoboLinux, under the version-subdir. For ekzample:

/_/P/Bash/4.2

But, not the "Current" link show the current version of the program, but
the "-" link! The function of this link is same as the known "Current"
link, just the name changed to the "minus" character. This makes easy to
write colorizing script, need check just 1 character, and this char
different as the "_" character in the / dir.

The links in the /_/S/L tree show across/over/via the "-" link! This is
other method as in the original GoboLinux. For ekzample:

# ls -l bash
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 dec    9 17.59 bash -> /_/P/Bash/-/bin/bash

In the /_/P/programname/version dir the shared files findable in the Shared
dir, but the "share" link show not to the "Shared" (./Shared), but the full
/_/S/L/T dir!

Otherwise, I not use the original GoboLinux scripts. The Python-dependency
is for me UNACCEPTABLE! I wrote other, own scripts in place of the
"SymlinkProgram", "PrepareProgram", "RemoveBroken", and "ColorMake". There
are mostly ordinary bash-scripts, in a few case with a little bit C
program... Because, in the beginning phase of the system-building from
scratch, I not have python, of course! But bash and C-compiler in the
temporary system, yes.

My actual/current "release" has the following major working progs:

- all, present in the LFS 7.4 book. (Please understand: LFS, and NOT the
BLFS!)
- check
- wget
- Tcl/TK
- MC
- XBindKeys
- Python ( :( - I hate it... )
- the complett Xorg, but not all Xorg drivers. But easy to compile the
missing drivers to this X, because the X in my distro NOT in 1 subdir with
all component, but every part is in its own different subdir, for ekzample:

Xf86-Video-Nouveau
Xf86-Video-Vesa
Xf86-Video-VMware
X-FixesProto
X-FontsProto
X-GlProto
Xinit
X-InputProto
X-KbProto
XKeyboardConfig
X-Libdmx
X-LibFontEnc
X-LibFS
X-LibICE
X-LibPciAccess
X-LibSM
X-LibX11
X-LibXaw
X-LibXcomposite
X-LibXcursor
X-LibXdamage
X-LibXext
X-LibXfixes
X-LibXfont
X-LibXft
X-LibXi
X-LibXinerama
X-LibXkbFile
X-LibXmu
X-LibXpm
X-LibXrandr
X-LibXrender
X-LibXres
X-LibXscrnSaver
X-LibXt
X-LibXtst
X-LibXv
X-LibXvMC
X-LibXxf86dga
X-LibXxf86vm
XORG-Fonts
XORG-Server
X-RandrProto
X-RecordProto
X-RenderProto
X-ResourceProto
X-ScrnsaverProto
XTerm
X-Util-Macros
X-VideoProto
X-XcmiscProto
X-XextProto
X-Xf86BigFontProto
X-Xf86dgaProto
X-Xf86driProto
X-Xf86VidModeProto
X-XineramaProto
X-XProto
X-Xtrans

and others.

The X work in my system, with my 32 bits Lenovo ThinkPad T61 laptop.

I have working TWM and DWM window managers, XTerm and Urxvt. But the final
configuration of this X not finished yet, because I no written xorg.conf
yet. Therefore, for ekzample, my fonts in the virtual terminals are ugly,
the keyboard layout no in my hungarian variant, and others. But I think,
they are not big problems, because different countries must have different
settings. Every peoples should configure it as he/she would like it.

The boot scripts are from the LFS Book, of course, it is good idea to set
it properly in the rc.d dirs, in the udev rules, etc.

NO INSTALLER! Unpack it to an empty partition, edit the menu.lst, the
fstab, and update-grub from an existing installed distro.

NO AUDIO DRIVERS, music players, multimedia softwares, no X libraries (Qt,
GTK...), no browser! No dhcp, no network-manager...

Of course, in the next weeks I will install this softwares, but today they
are missing in my "distro".

Known bugs:

After the boot, before the "prompt", at times my machine wait for
something/anything, and I must press an "Enter", for the propmt.
Presumably, because I not have installed internet-softwares or others. But
after this, everything work good.

Does this interest somebody?
Would I like to ask, whether this interests somebody only?

Zoli